Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News and Profiles > Memories from one of 'Shuffle' Rees' 'boys'.

Memories from one of 'Shuffle' Rees' 'boys'.

Colin Lambert (O59/63) recollects John's kindess and sense of humour
John Rees, teacher and Housemaster at King's
John Rees, teacher and Housemaster at King's

It was so delightful to read John's story in the newsletter

Although my time at Bruton was. alas, not the happiest time of my life, due to being a bit dim. (or lazy) and suffering a rather prolonged period of mental bullying, I very much enjoyed the social life of the study, the CCF and the things at which I did excel. Fencing, shooting, CCF & CCF band.

JR was the most wonderful Housemaster. Firm but kind and as mentioned by Marcus Hill, his boys tended not to abuse his position out of a sense of loyalty. One infamous night in the senior dorm just before 'O'levels, we were all chatting after lights out and, as previously mentioned , JR suddenly appeared through the door leading from his flat.

"Stop talking, you have exams tomorrow, get some sleep".

Needless to say we carried on chatting after he had gone. Minutes later he burst into the dorm again and those talking were invited to join him in his study immediately.

Three of us received the telling off of a lifetime.

On our return to the dorm, all our chums were asking "What happened"?

With which John re-appeared and we all though 'OH NO, not again'.

He came to each of the three and apoligised for what had happened.

A remarkably brave and self effacing thing for him to do. Strangely enough at Roy Davey's Memorial I met up with John and he had not forgotten the incident and once again apologised for the happenings of that night. What struck me was that, so many years later, John remembered the situation and was generous and kind enough to apologise.  

There were a few of us that got up to things that would have got us sacked if we had been caught, Luckily I never was, but............ One of our number 'borrowed' Johns Red Mini Traveler one night and had a little drive round. (how he knew how to 'hotwire' a car at our age, I know not!)

John called the perpetrator into his study under some excuse and sitting on his desk was a cigarette lighter given to the perpetrator ('X') and engraved by his older sister.

They chatted away. whilst X' squirmed at seeing the lighter, realising he must have dropped it in the Mini. He thought the game was up and thought he was about to get sacked at best and reported to the police at worst.

At the end of the conversation John simply said. "You'd better have your lighter back".

This story is told to demonstrate the amazing man management skills possessed by John Rees.

Subtle in the extreme, but making it very obvious to 'X' that he had been Rumbled and would not get away with it if repeated. Needless to say 'X' heaved an inward HUGE sigh of relief and did not repeat his nocturnal motoring.

I feel very blessed and honoured to have been one of John Rees' boys and thank him for his love, care and leadership he showed me and the rest of my fellow 'boys ' of the early '60s.

I may not have attained the dizzy heights of fame that some OB's managed, but i made a decent and enjoyable living working for Shell U.K. for most of my life, married for 26 years and with two wonderful sons, so life 'ain't so bad'!

Thanks in large part to John Rees and KSB.

Similar stories

John Rees Remembers his time at King's

Here, John Rees, remembers his time as both pupil, teacher and Housemaster at King's. David Graham (O60/65) and Marcus Hill (O60/65) also play tribute to John. More...

170 OBs reunite at the annual London Lunch

A jolly time was had by all at one of the largest turn outs of OBs yet. More...

Robert, playing his much loved cornet

For Robert, music was one of his greatest memories of King's More...

Simon Fuller wrote the following article for inclusion into the King's Spirit. More...

The 'Elastic Band' Glider!

Elastic band powered gliders, stone picking in fields and 'Pigeon Tower' punishments all feature in this humorous accoun… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech