Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > King's Bruton News > Headmaster Ian Wilmshurst rounds up the academic year

Headmaster Ian Wilmshurst rounds up the academic year

I am delighted that King’s has now returned back to summer term normality, despite some staff and pupil positive COVID-19 cases before half term, and , by the time you reach this, the GCSE and A Level exams will have been completed. Our Commemoration service was a great success, and it was very good to meet many OBs at this historic school event, So, thankfully, this summer term was as busy as it should be, with concerts, trips, talks, activities, sports matches and house events ensuring that King’s is back to pre-pandemic levels of opportunity and participation.

However, it was with very mixed emotions that we will welcomed back many younger OBs to King’s and St Mary’s Church to the memorial service for Amy Williams (Priory 2013-2018) on Sunday June 19th who sadly passed away earlier this year. 

It was very good to meet with David Hindley and Kristen Palmer who both kindly presented me with a signed copy of their new book ‘In Search of Thomas Russell’. Thomas Russell was a pupil at King’s in the late 16th century and in later life became friend of William Shakespeare. David tells Thomas’s story in his inimitable style while Kirsten provides evocative photographs covering important places in Thomas’s life, with many wonderful pictures of King’s and Bruton. David and Kirsten are planning a book launch at King’s soon and I thoroughly recommend their wonderful new book to the OB community.

The Sir Peter Squire Memorial Pavilion project is due for completion by April 2023, and I am very grateful for the 6-figure legacy donation from an OB that has meant that the financing of the pavilion project has still proved feasible, despite rapidly rising building costs. The Pavilion and new changing rooms will be ready for next cricket season, and I can report that sport at King’s is thriving, with cricket being now popular with both boys and girls. Two Lower 6th boys have excelled in the 1st XI, with Jay being selected to play for Somerset CCC 2nd XI and Will getting 5 wickets (all bowled!) against the MCC. Finally, I am delighted that Fraser Stewart (Old 1987-1992) has agreed to be our Guest of Honour at this year’s Prize-giving.

Similar stories

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech