Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News and Profiles > King's Remembered > Alec Stephens (P43/47) remembers his time at King's Bruton, during WWII

Alec Stephens (P43/47) remembers his time at King's Bruton, during WWII

Alec remembers his time at King's, during WWII.
Four years into WWII, Alec (William) Stephen joined King's, entering Priory house as one of nine boys.  He remembers his time with fondness and believes that the turbulent times led him to follow a career in teaching the importance of history to others.

"I won an exhibition award to King's from my prep school, which was a wonderful surprise and something I am most grateful for.  I was a pupil at King's under two Headmasters - Rupert Martin (the strongest arm in the West Country, something we all did our best to avoid experiencing first hand) and Geoffrey Sale, who I remember with great fondness.  I feel very lucky to have been at King's during the final years of the War, the School was a happy one and the community spirit high.  Finding out that old boys had lost their lives during the War was always horrid, but brought us closer together.

Rationing was one of the worse things, particularly the shortage of butter and petrol.  I can remember being very envious of the chap I sat next to, who was a farmer's son and would have a boiled egg everyday - luxury indeed.  We often felt frustrated that we could not do more to help the war effort and I knew that I would sign up to the RAF on leaving King's.  

We were very reliant on the news and spent a great deal of time listening to the radio and reading newspapers.  I can remember developing a strong dislike for the Japanese and even celebrating when Hiroshima happened.  I was with my grandmother when the news broke and whilst she was horrified by the atrocity, I was happy.  By the time Nagasaki happened, I was more cynical and realised the power of propaganda, fed to us by the Government.  I can remember that the Germans seemed to have more 'street cred', I have always wondered if this is because of Biggles books and comics.

As D-Day approached we all got more nervous and more excited.  The Headmaster called us all together and we prayed for victory, with the minimum amount of casualties.  I heard about the War ending on the radio and immediately jumped on my bike and cycled to Wincanton to watch a newsreel.  Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour all featured.  It was a terrific day. 

When I left King's, I did National Service in the RAF, before gaining a scholarship to read History at University.  I then went on to teach History at Pilgrim's School in Winchester and St Mary's CofE School in Herts.  I eventually retired in 1989, pleased that I could teach first hand what the War had been like to a future generation.

My advice to anyone still at King's is be thankful every day for your good fortune.  Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!"

If you would like to share your memories of King's Bruton, please complete this form

Similar stories

John Rees Remembers his time at King's

Here, John Rees, remembers his time as both pupil, teacher and Housemaster at King's. David Graham (O60/65) and Marcus Hill (O60/65) also play tribute to John. More...

The 'Elastic Band' Glider!

Elastic band powered gliders, stone picking in fields and 'Pigeon Tower' punishments all feature in this humorous accoun… More...

170 OBs reunite at the annual London Lunch

A jolly time was had by all at one of the largest turn outs of OBs yet. More...

History was made on Tuesday, 30th January 2019, when 81 Old Brutonians attended a lunch, hosted by the Headmaster, at La… More...

Peter Scott (O66/70) and King's Archivist, Andrew Leach

In February 2020, Peter Scott returned to King's Bruton, meeting with Andrew Leach. Here, Peter remembers his time at K… More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech