Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > King's Bruton News > Ian Wilmshurst updates on the new Head of King's

Ian Wilmshurst updates on the new Head of King's

I am delighted that Matt Radley, currently Second Master at Blundell’s School, will take over the headship from me in September 2025. The Governors undertook a rigorous selection process, supported by one of the main educational consultants, and over 40 applied for the post. Matt impressed with his experience, skills and vision, and I have no doubt that King’s will continue to thrive under his leadership. I write this before the General Election, but it seems inevitable that the independent sector will face serious challenges under Labour’s VAT proposals, and I am determined that I will leave the school in excellent health to meet whatever challenges lie ahead. King’s is in a very strong position, with a cash operating surplus this year in excess of £1 million, while Hazlegrove, under Ed Benbow’s leadership, is also thriving educationally and financially.  These funds help the Schools carry out planned maintenance works and to continue to offer bursarial support to families who would otherwise be unable to attend the Schools.  

The summer term is always exceptionally busy with external exams added onto the normal kaleidoscope of trips, fixtures and events. It was wonderful to host members of the OB 1519 Legacy Society to a lunch in the Sir Peter Squire Pavilion. This building is developing, as planned, into an excellent function suite as well as being a first-class sports pavilion. The Summer Concert was one of the best in memory as a number of OBs returned to play with the Military Band for the Band Master’s, Phil Lambton, final concert before retirement. We welcome OB Femi Fadugba (Lyon 2000-2005) back to King’s as our guest on Speech Day to continue the long list of OBs who have now presented prizes and addressed the school at this important event. Finally, my very best wishes to our hockey teams as they set off immediately after the end of term for their tour of Singapore and Malaysia.

I hope to meet as many Old Brutonians as possible in the coming year. 

Floreat Brutonia

Similar stories

Have your say

Address

Plox, Bruton BA10 0ED, United Kingdom

Quick Links

Social Media

This website is powered by
ToucanTech