Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > OBA News > Charlotte Elway (P16/21) raises money for Meningitis

Charlotte Elway (P16/21) raises money for Meningitis

25 Apr 2024
OBA News

In just a few months, Charlotte will be trekking up to Everest Base Camp (over 5000m above sea level), in aid of the Meningitis Research Foundation.  Charlotte has an ambitious fundraising goal of £3000, which she is working hard to meet.  

Her interest in Menengitis research started at King's, "From starting my psychology journey at King's, and continuing psychology at university, I strongly believe in the power of research and the potential to transform lives through scientific advancement. The Meningitis Research Foundation's work is vital, saving lives and improving outcomes for those affected by meningitis. Supporting their work contributes to the development of better prevention strategies, improved treatments, and ultimately, the hope of eradicating meningitis through a global vaccine." 

Meningitis is a sudden and severe illness that can lead to life-altering consequences. After children, students, particularly those in their first year of university living in close quarters, are the most vulnerable groups to the virus. The statistics are alarming, with one in four 15-19 year olds carrying the meningococcal bacteria that can cause meningitis, compared to one in ten of the broader UK population. This fact hits close to home for me, given the boarding school environment, and my time at university, underscoring the importance of supporting research and prevention efforts.

If you would like to help Charlotte on her way and donate to this incredibly important cause, please click here.

Similar stories

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech