Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > OBA News > John Rowe (P51/54) retreads his footsteps

John Rowe (P51/54) retreads his footsteps

6 May 2024
OBA News

In May 2024, I had the great pleasure of showing John Rowe, accompanied by his son James, around King's.  The visit was a complete surprise to John, who was expecting a day out with his son to deliver some military uniform to the Keep Military Museum in Dorchester.  However, on the way back to Devon, James took a 'detour' and soon John found himself back at King's, standing outside Memorial Hall.  The visit was spurred on by John coming across a treasure trove of King's memorabilia, including packing lists and school reports!

Whilst much has changed in the 70 odd years that John has been an OB, there are pockets of King's that remain the same.  The John Davie Room  (formerly The Norton Library) still has the original wooden shelves, the Mem Hall has the tributes to the fallen and Old House courtyard still retains much of its original character.  It was a pleasure to see John remember his time at King's by retracing his steps and we even walked his route to school, down from Priory, along Lower Back Way, over Packing Horse Bridge, past St Mary's and along Plox towards Old House.

James kindly wrote to me afterwards to say that John had had a wonderful day and that he 'never thought he would have the chance to retread those footsteps'.  

If you would like a tour of King's, please do get in touch and I will be happy to help.

All very best,

Emilie

oba@kingsbruton.com

Similar stories

Have your say

Address

Plox, Bruton BA10 0ED, United Kingdom

Quick Links

Social Media

This website is powered by
ToucanTech