Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > OBA News > King's and Kenya - A strong bond

King's and Kenya - A strong bond

22 Jun 2022
OBA News
Gilly Bunday and Tony Hockey (P69/74)
Gilly Bunday and Tony Hockey (P69/74)

For years, King’s has had students from Kenya and this year, in my role as Registrar, I was lucky enough to be invited over to the Ndume 7s rugby tournament held annually at Pembroke House Prep School in Gilgil.  Alongside the pitches, thirty UK and South African based public schools advertised themselves to parents, in the hope that they would send their children to school in the UK.  Rugby teams competed under the Kenyan sunshine, and the Kenyan national 7s team were on side to cheer and encourage as well. 

Currently a third of Kenyan children move on to schools in the UK (with approximately a third staying in Kenya and a third transferring to schools in SA) but with links such as this tournament, and several Kenyan children currently on the school role, I sincerely hope that the steady ‘trickle’ of Kenyans continues in the direction of Bruton.  Whilst there, I was lucky enough to meet up with OBs such as Tony Hockey (in the photo), Fergus Robley (P80/85)) and Katrina Dingley (nee Patterson W89/91), as well as several parents of more recent OBs and current parents.  I hope to repeat the visit next year and build on the contacts made, so if you are in the Gilgil area for the Ndume 7s, please do come and find the King’s stand.  It is always wonderful to catch up with OBs.

Gilly Bunday, King's Bruton Registrar

Similar stories

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech